Friday, October 26, 2007

Creative license

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/10/23/tv.sopranos.davidchase.ap/index.html

what is it about a story that can tug people so much? I am one of those who likes to know the ending. Even if a novel sucks big time, I will skim through pages, I will skip chapters, but I like to know how it all ends. The mania over the Soprano's ending, yeah I remember that. Forum after forum discussing why they did what they did, and what they were trying to do. The mania over Harry Potter even. 7 books! People following through 7 books to see how Harry's life goes on. Does he live, does he die? What happens to good ole voldy?

Isn't it amazing how we can get caught in make believe? I mean, its not like those are things that happen, it is someone elses imagination that we are so solemnly following. Why are we so obssessed with how the other person ends it? Why cant we use our own imagination to do it? If it were for me, maybe harry would have died. Ron and hermione wouldn't have ended together having babies. No, to me the happily ever after was too anticlimatic for such a dark series. It lacked imagination. But I do like the way they ended the Soprano's. Now I havent seen the series, and I don't know too much about it, just the outlines. But it seems apt that life goes on in the end. Maybe the viewers of the soap felt the same way I felt about the ending of the potter saga. I don't know. The thing is, the writer ended it in a way that one could imagine things happening whichever way they wanted them to. And maybe that is what stuck in people's craw.

I like happy endings. I love distrubing endings (Gone with the wind is the best example of that). But most of all, I think what most of us like the best is knowing how it ends. Maybe coz our lives are so uncertain on their own, we don't know whats happening the next moment, and this is our way of knowing 'something' even if it's about the lives of people who dont exist?

No comments: