Sunday, September 2, 2007

We move in packs

One thing, that often strikes me while moving about is how hard it is to be alone. I have never much rued my status as a singleton. Not even on valentine's day when thanks to all the media it seems like a crime to not be in a relationship. But in my one week in this new place, I have started feeling that being alone and friendless can be such a pain. Man has always been a social animal, but it seems to me that our societies over the years have been molded in a way that a person without any other social attachment is sort of like an outcaste. The funniest example of this is going to the movies. I wonder why it is a custom to go to the movies with someone rather than going alone? I mean, really, you can't talk in between the movie (and shame on you if you do!). You just sit there for hours watching the movie while your companion does the same. Then why is it that people hesitate going out to catch a flick on their own? It is hard to eat in restaurants all by yourself as well. Most often, a person catching a meal alone is on the receiving end of many other patrons pity. Similarly, it is not fun to go out to catch a ball game all by yourself either. I mean who will YOU cheer with, even though the whole stadium is cheering with you.

I myself admit to bowing down to most of these customs myself. I usually bring food home and eat it with my TV for company rather than sit alone outside for the world to see. I wanted to catch a few games at the university, but lack the courage to face the stadium all alone in the alumni section. I gaze longingly after people on sidewalks, walking hand in hand with their significant others or their children, or just walking and talking and having fun with their friends.

I have sometimes felt a little different from others, but I guess I have never felt this alone, and life in the metro is just starting.

No comments: